If so, what will you and your team be doing today?
What will you do next week to ensure you’re in better shape before next weekend hits?
Here’s a list of things you can try:
- What’s your unit test coverage? Is it above 50%? If not, you could do worse than spend some time adding unit tests. Make sure your unit test covers the smallest possible unit.
- Take the time to do a complete Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for every production outage, and ensure that this results in change requests or bugs going on your backlog.
- Shake up the schedules – see if you can free up time for your teams (remove standing meetings) and use that time to align them around stability issues.
- Provide focus time and space but do it with purpose. What are you going to aim to refactor this week? Can you refactor? What’s the biggest pain you can fix?
- Plan something fun to do in the future as a thank you. You could start by just asking what people might like to do.
- Above all, don’t treat this week just like a normal week.
Let me know your tips for ensuring outages don’t lead to burnout and bad feelings.