Who am I?
I’m Richard Bown. I’m an independent consulting DevOps engineer who specialises in shaping DevOps platforms and platform teams to improve the flow of overall software delivery. I’ve worked with dozens of global companies, including investment, commercial and retail banks, insurance companies, telecoms, retailers, manufacturers, and smaller companies specialising in accountancy products, IoT, mobile and web.
What do I do?
I work with DevOps and Development teams to:
- Scope the team’s work and responsibilities.
- Identify the toolset and skills required.
- Encourage experimentation and innovation.
- Identify bottlenecks to intra and extra-team interactions.
- Provide individual support and guidance to encourage growth and ownership.
- A no-nonsense, human approach to ‘software best practices’ means less dogma, more pragma.
I work with organizations, teams and individuals to tackle development constraints, architecture limitations, approaches to testing, CI/CD and DevOps tooling and implementation. As a fan of Conway’s Law and Team Topologies, I like to enable faster development work through attention to organizational and architectural constraints while implementing practical improvements.
As a Team Topologies advocate, I help organise the Fast Flow meetup group in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
How can I work with you?
I mainly work full-time with clients but look at this page for more information and opportunities for consultation or engagement.