Comfort zone is a misnomer. As a term, it doesn’t describe the feeling we have when we are in it. It’s not comfortable, it’s just un-engaging. It’s the home of busywork and not thinking about the future. It’s the safe approach to the day-to-day.
When we are in our comfort zone we switch off and we become prey to bad habits.
This week, try doing something different and see if anything changes for the better or the worse. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Decline a regular meeting
- Challenge the need for you to do a weekly piece of administration
- Research something that really interests you, even if you think it has nothing to do with your day-to-day job
- Block out your lunch break on every day
- Make a point of speaking to a co-worker who you don’t know that well
Try it out. Make some notes about how you feel at the start of the week and at the end of it. Let me know how you get on.